Tau Kappa Epsilon, Xi Chapter
National Founding: 1899
Local Founding: September 1920
Philanthropy: St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital
Colors: Crimson Lake Cherry and Pure Silver Grey
Our mission is to aid men in their mental, moral, and social development for life.
The history of Tau Kappa Epsilon at Washington University is a long one. Founded on September 17-18th in 1920, Xi Chapter of Tau Kappa Epsilon was the 14th chapter of Tau Kappa Epsilon. As an early member of the Washington University Greek community, TKE gained popularity as a way for students to live on campus. Our first “house” was actually a block in Tower Hall Dormitory – what we now call Karl D. Umrath Hall. In 1924 Xi chapter became the first TKE fraternity on campus to raise the money needed to buy a house. One Fraternity Row occupied the land that is now the Law School and would house our chapter for many years. During World War II we were moved so that the house could be used by the military as a barracks. TKE spent time off campus in the 80s and then the house was demolished to make way for the new building and expansion. We received our new home on the lower row in 2001.